Monday, January 6, 2014

My Happy Place

I got to spend my day drinking coffee in my happy place (my studio, for the less imaginative among us) making art and clever greeting cards. What's better than doodling all day and brainstorming sarcastic love notes? Nothing, that's what. I even got to take a trip to the art supply shop. Where I spent too much money, but justified it as shop expenses. Which it is. So there, bank account conscience.

My happy place was actually a productive place today. Hooray! I got a bunch of pieces done for Love Buzz that I'm pleased with, put down the gesso (it's like canvas primer) on my big custom commission, AND I did the laundry. Bam. I'm practically Super Woman.
Yeah, I'm talkin' to you
Bon Jovi valentines. I dare you to top that.

Remember, these still count for my 30 Days of Hand Lettering challenge. Because it's my blog and I
get to make the rules. Two birds, one stone.

The highlight of my day has nothing to do with any of this though. Well, I guess it does, but not directly. I was checking out at the supply shop, paint brushes, canvas, and markers all akimbo (I should have gotten a cart, I just never think I'll need one), and the woman behind the register asked,

"Are you an artist?"

And for the first time in my life, I said yes without feeling like an asshole. It might seem silly, but this was a big deal moment for me. I've been creating one thing or another for my entire life, and I've never felt like anything but a pretentious fake when I referred to myself, or was referred to as an artist. Is it because I'm selling my stuff? Because I'm being accepted by my peers?

Or is it because I finally feel like my will and God's will are in alignment? That by creating I'm giving him glory and being blessed by it, so I finally feel at home with myself as an artist? As a person for that matter.

I'm not sure what it is, maybe a combination of all of it. I do know that God is behind it. Philippians 4:8 says, "Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things." Because these things are of God. Truth, purity, beauty, excellence.... God. When I fix my eyes on him it all just seems to 'click' into place. My life, my art, all of it.

"And if our God is for us, than who could ever stop us? And if our God is with us, what could stand
against?"

                                                   post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment